Monday, October 14, 2013

Overnight Pumpkin Spice Steel-Cut Oats

Breakfast is an easy one to skip, so I'm all about quick eats in the morning whenever I can (Check out my Microwavable Mini Quiche!). Overnight oats are a popular breakfast item among healthy eating bloggers, and with good reason. They take less than five minutes of total prep time and are ready to grab on-the-go in the morning. For the pumpkin spice I mixed in a spoonful of Pumpkin Butter from one of my favorite websites, along with some pumpkin pie spice.

Overnight Pumpkin Spice Steel-Cut Oats

If you're fresh out of steel-cut oats or aren't sure how you feel about them, I've made this with normal oats and steel cut oats, but the steel cut gives you considerably more texture, which I'm a fan of. You might have heard that steel-cut oats are better for you, but I'm going to have to call shenanigans on this one. Nutritionally, both steel-cut and old fashioned oats are almost identical, and the slightly lower glycemic index of steel-cut is basically negligible. If you're a fan of the more traditional oats, by all means substitute them for the steel-cut. 

Overnight Pumpkin Spice Steel-Cut Oats
Serves 1
  • 1/2 cup quick-cook steel-cut oats
  • 3/4 cup fat free milk (try it with soy or almond milk!)
  • 1 tbsp Pumpkin Butter
  • 2 tsp flax seed
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tsp light brown sugar (optional)
Combine all ingredients in a small jar.

Refrigerate overnight. 

Grab on-the-go in the morning!




No comments:

Post a Comment