Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Four for the 4th: Grilled Jalapeño Poppers

The Fourth of July is coming up, and what is more American than four recipes in honor of 'murica? I wanted to do recipes that were different but still fresh. I also wanted them to each hit a "course". A friend of mine sent me a picture of some jalapeño poppers the other day, so I decided to put my spin on them. Sorry I kind of already did that once, I didn't even think of that when I picked these to do. In any case, they make a great addition to any grill-out and are an easy appetizer. If you aren't a big fan of spice, omit the seeds and red pepper flakes to still enjoy that jalapeno flavor without the hotness.

Grilled Jalapeño Poppers

Grilled Jalapeño Poppers
Makes 8

Ingredients: 
  • 4 jalapeños
  • 1/2 cup plain, nonfat Greek Yogurt
  • 1/4 cup light cream cheese 
  • 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 2 finger pinch of red pepper flakes
  • 5-7 shakes of smoked paprika
Heat grill to medium/medium high. 

Halve jalapenos and scrape the insides with a spoon to remove the core and seeds. Set a few of the seeds aside for later. 

Combine Greek yogurt and cream cheese. Microwave for 30 seconds so the cream cheese will mix with the Greek yogurt.

Mix in the Parmesan cheese, a two finger pinch of the seeds, the red pepper, and smoked paprika. 

Fill jalapeño boats with mixture and place on grill. Let cook until jalapeños begin to soften.


1 comment: