Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Four for the 4th: Asian Sesame Pasta Salad

I'll be honest here, I'm not usually a big fan of pasta salad. That being said, my roommates mom brought a great one for his graduation party so I gave it a shot. This veers away from the traditional Italian/Greek pasta salad and puts a great, light twist on it. Loaded with Eastern flavors, whole grains, and fresh, colorful veggies, it'll be a big hit at any barbecue this 4th of July.

Asian Sesame Pasta Salad

Asian Sesame Pasta Salad
Serves 8

Ingredients:

  • 8 oz dry whole wheat pasta noodles (fusili, penne, and farfalle all work well)
  • 2 cups broccoli, cut in bite size pieces
  • 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
  • 2/3 cup red pepper, coarsely diced
  • 2/3 cup yellow pepper, coarsely diced
  • 4 green onions, green parts only (save the rest, we'll use them in the next recipe)
Dressing:
  • 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons Sriracha or other hot sauce
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
Boil pasta until noodles are tender, drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again. 

Toss pasta with next 5 ingredients in a large bowl. 

Mix soy sauce and remaining six ingredients in a small bowl with a whisk or shake them in a jar with a lid. 

Pour over pasta and toss gently. 

Enjoy!

--- Optional Step: I roasted my vegetables in the oven to lighten up the crisp a little bit. If that's your thing, toss them in olive oil and place on a baking sheet in the oven at 400F for about 10 minutes for the broccoli and 7 for the peppers ---

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to your roommates mom. I tried to get you to try them for years. I go light on the pasta and heavy on any and every veggie. The dressing sounds similar to one I made last weekend for a chicken ramen noodle salad which was my own creation. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete