Sunday, August 25, 2013

Farmer's Market Frittata

I'm excited to start blogging again now that we're all moved into our new place. It's great having a kitchen with some fighting room and decent lighting. We have more counter space and cupboard room than I know what to do with.

The other great part about moving is I'm two blocks from the farmer's market, which as I've mentioned before has been one of my favorite things to do this summer. This morning's breakfast recipe was inspired by the massive amounts of vegetables waiting to be used in my refrigerator from my visits last week and yesterday. I love quiches, but they're a little time consuming. A frittata (or open faced omelette as I like to think of them) gives you that egg-bake goodness with less than half the time commitment.

The key to these bad boys is temperature. You've got to cook them low and slow, which is exactly opposite of how I typically cook. You're gonna have to trust me when I say it's worth the wait though. You can either flip your frittata if you're feeling adventurous or throw it in the oven for a few minutes like I did at the end to crisp up your top.

It's going to be a pretty lazy Sunday today. We've got one more week of summer before classes start, so today is basically consisting of watching Badger football replays on Big Ten Network to get me ready for next Saturday and blogging. Life is rough, I know.

It looks like it will be a hot one in Madison this weekend, so make sure you're staying hydrated and being smart if you're working out. Listen to your body!

Farmer's Market Frittata with fresh vegetables and egg whites

Farmer's Market Frittata
Serves 6

Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup egg whites
  • 1/3 cup diced onion
  • 1/3 cup diced green pepper
  • 1/4 cup diced mushrooms
  • 1 diced Roma tomato
  • 2 slices turkey bacon
  • 1/3 cup asiago cheese
  • 1 sprig rosemary leaves
  • Salt/pepper to taste
Beat eggs and egg whites in a large bowl with a whisk. The more air you get into the eggs the fluffier your frittata will be. 

Spray a medium skillet and place over medium-low heat. Add onion, green pepper, mushrooms, tomato, bacon, and rosemary leaves. 

Pour the eggs over the vegetables and bacon, add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste, cover, and let cook until eggs begin to set. The top of the frittata should still be slightly runny. 

Transfer frying pan to the top rack of an oven at 400 degrees for another 3-4 minutes, or until eggs have firmed up. 

1 comment:

  1. I will try that next weekend. Looks great. I hate the thought of winter coming and not being able to go in the garden for fresh veggies. Next week I will dig the potatoes. There's nothing better than a home grown potato rubbed in olive oil, sprinkled with sea salt and baked in a hot oven till the inside is fluffy and mealy,the skin crunchy with an earthy taste. I eat the whole thing skin and all.

    ReplyDelete